12.17.2009

Gye Nyame

Some of the people Cyler does business with are from Ghana, and are specifically Akan. I am preparing to have them for dinner and so I am doing research--food, customs, collective unconscious stuff. (Am I weird in that I want to know what someone thinks about God so I can cook them a good meal?)

Meaning: “Except God”
The above Symbol stands for the omnipotence and the omnipresence of God. “I fear no one, except God.”
From the Akan aphorism “Abode santann yi firi tete; obi nte ase a onim ne ahyease, na obi ntena ase nkosi ne awie, gye Nyame.”
Literal translation: “This great panorama of creation dates back to time immemorial; no one lives who saw its beginning and no one will live to see its end, except God.” (I love this--this is now scripture for me.)
The symbol reflects the Akan belief of a supreme being, the creator who they refer to by various names, e.g., Oboadee, Nyame, Onyankopon Twer.
OK, now I am ready to start building a menu.

No comments:

statcounter