10.20.2011

6Flag Chicken and Derby Dip

Ellery wanted a repeat of last year's bday so we went to 6Flags. So fun but this was the first year I was not stoked to do coasters. I was happy to read a book while they went to and fro and to and fro. For picnic I made:
4strips bacon
1.5lb boneless skinless chicken
2C buttermilk
2 Tbsp hot sauce
2.5C flour
1tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp salt
1tsp pepper
2C canola oil
(have on hand lots of paper towels, ziploc bags, cookie sheets, wax paper)
total prep time:2.75 hrs serves 6
Cook bacon, reserving 2Tbsp of fat. Cool and crumble, set aside for dip:
Derby Dip
3/4C sour cream (I use greek yogurt)
1Tbsp mayonnaise
1/4C bleu cheese
Mix all with bacon and serve as dip for chicken, celery and carrots
Chicken:
Cut chicken bite size. Combine buttermilk, hotsauce, and chicken in ziploc bag. Marinate in fridge 2hrs or overnight.
In glass baking dish or on wax paper, whisk rest of dry ingreds. remove chicken from buttermilk, dredge in flour. Place back in buttermilk and then dredge again in flour. Reserve on baking sheet or wax paper.
Heat canola oil in large skillet to 350degrees. Pan is ready when you sprinkle water drops and they crackle. Add reserved bacon fat. Work in batches, fry till golden brown 3-4min per side. Transfer to paper towels.

T'aint low fat.
I added pasta shells to crab, olives, green onion, and tomato for quick salad mixed w/yogurt-mayo and salt/pepper.
I am no longer a spare tire virgin. For the first time in my life I got a flat tire. Coming home from dropping kids at school. In my pyjamas. Changed the tire myself I did. I am wise like Yoda.

I felt happy I did it. I have never had such respect for what lugnuts do on a daily basis.
Today I am off to my horse show--crockpot dinner for family is going. Decorations and snacks from last night's Scout court of Honor cleaned up. Packed and ready to go. It's chilly today and I miss Cyler. We are too busy for our own good. I want November to be a family at home month. So many things I need to say no to. It's hard to do that. But a highlight--Cyler and I get to go to Nashville together next week--we need it. Too much like roomates right now. Thank heaven for Colby coming to play mom and dad for a few days!!

No comments:

statcounter