2.13.2009

Retrenchment


I have heard of Brigham Young asking the young women to forego fancy clothing during the time my religion practiced Christian based communism. When I was young I thought it was to make sure the girls didn't get prideful or overly concerned about their appearance. Now, from an economic standpoint I see it as a way the governing body asked its members to keep costs down and reduce impulses of competition, emphasis on the individual and to encourage members to be happy with less. From one viewpoint, this kind of regulation is dangerous because of the potential for abuse of power. To be able to control what a person eats, wears, does for a living, who a person marries does not fit in with the plan of happiness in my opinion. However, encouraging one to retrench at times like this--to not spend where spending is not necessary is very very good advice--something I need to voluntarily follow. So instead of ordering pizza on Fri. nights, I have followed my friend Becky's advice to make my own. Retrenchment in this manner did not cause me to have to settle for less, though. The pizza I have been making tastes SO much better, is a creative outlet for me and is fun! Plus, ironically, it has heightened my sense of individuality--who else made left-over-roast pork-in sweet/sour salsa-with cheddar and portabello mushrooms-and red onions pizza last week? The pic above is tukey pepperoni and FRESH mozarrella. Retrenchment can be a blast! Soren was just talking to me about an unrelated topic. He saw the pic of the pepperoni pizza above and stopped mid-sentence. "Can you make that again???"

1 comment:

Becky said...

That looks really good! Don't tell my kids. They'll get jealous.

statcounter