6.29.2008

Comics and the rest of us and Kierkegaard


Comedians/iennes I have heard are highly intelligent but often suffer from depression. Humor helps them deal with emotional/mental illness. But I was wondering about others I know of that are highly intelligent/depressed and why they didn't turn out to be comedians/iennes:

Hitler--His attachment to Germany's idealized, heroic, mythic past was his downfall. If only he would have deradicalized himself with humor.
Isaiah--the personification of "the man who knew too much."
David Koresh--Poor guy had a hard life and couldn't read very well. So, he just memorized the whole Bible, led a communal society, and built what he considered the "Kindgom of God" to get ready for the Second Coming.
Stockard Channing in "Grease"--She was mad all the time.
Marie Antoinette--She was depressed at least until she produced a fit heir and then was probably fine until the unfortunate guillotine incidents.
David Bohm--Quantum Physicist
Charles Dickens, T.S. Eliot, Michel Foucault--We should all thank our lucky stars they didn't deradicalize with humor.
Soren Kierkegaard--(picture above) Hated the empty formalities of organized religion. I'm afraid/fully expecting to fall in love with him when I meet him in heaven (or wherever heretics like us end up). Maybe I could cheer him up with witty repartee.

So who do you think would have been better off using humor to heal from emotional/mental illness? Who didn't and hence, made the world a better place to live?


OK, Cyler just walked by my computer and saw Kierkegaard's pic onscreen and said, "Why do you have a picture of Joseph Smith on your blog."

1 comment:

Becky said...

I think most of those pictures are a stretch, except for the one of Kierkegaard.

I'll have to comment intelligently on your other question when my brain is back from vacation.

statcounter