2.26.2010

Ellery's Invitation


I am inviting her on a girls' night out. This poem I wrote is on the invitation:
Weaver Bird

For you, daughter, I weave

Satin ribbons in your shining waves
God’s very mind there nestled under turquoise, fuschia and tangerine

Laces to hold your feet
Earth binds you there with Her newest green velvet and most ancient sandy canvas

I weave cotton, silk
Steel when needed
To protect your strong back
Warp and wefts of bone
Growing to hold tools of your own

Braided Food
The flight feather to your wing
Adding branch to the nest inside
Walk fair and far, my Lady

I weave dreams of you
Of the love you will find and give
Of the work and wisdom you will live
That you are clothed in the dream you stitch for yourself

Memories for us
Talking breath to eardrum
Four Arms a tangled basket
Figure eight kissing cheeks, eyes, and forehead
Art, science, home and the public square
In our clutch

I am your weaver bird
With my finest loom
The one my weaver bird gave me
On purpose

No comments:

statcounter