3.30.2010

Havanese Fever


Ellery and I went to the Ft Worth Kennel Club dog show this weekend. I got the fever. Since the kids are older and my work gig is ending soon, I am looking for my next life project. A small part of it I think is going to involve dogshowing. I don't know why I love showing animals--I don't have the space, time and $ for horseshowing. So dogs it is. I think I have a genetic marker for loving wellbred animals--my papa bred cockfighters (to my mother's chagrin and dismay), my grandpa always had a good hunting dog (pointer, german shorthair) in his backyard. Although he also trapped coyotes (right?) so it smelled icky back there. But I miss my grandma's dried apricots--they were GURD!! And my parents love a beautifully put together Arabian.
I took Bodhi to the show for the Havanese ladies to assess. They loved his face (who wouldn't) he has a great bite, tail carriage, good legs and movement. The standard for height is 9-11" at the withers--he is 11 3/4". They sighed with disappointment as they all have females that could have been his girlfriend (polygamy is ok in the canine world by the way). As I get more educated, I will soon be searching for one I can show.
So, as I have a husband-induced-injunction against having more dogs that humans at our house, I need to find Bodhi a good home and search for a dog I can show. (I will neuter him) He has a great personality, the hair does require brushing but can be kept short. I choose to keep it long because I love to groom him. Havanese are non-shedding, hypoallergenic and highly trainable. He is AKC registered and current on shots. He plays endlessly with children and loves other dogs, and loves to play in water. He is crate trained, leash trained, fetches, sits, stays, lays down, and speaks on command. The only thing he doesn't like is Ellery's violin practice. Truth be told, that's a hard one for all of us. He does mark at times which should subside with neutering. If I can't watch him in the house, I simply wrap a diaper to cover the "offending member." Easy peasy. He's not perfect but pretty close. If you know of anyone looking for a 2 year old, small dog like this, let me know. Or forward Bodhi's pic to your friends, family, work/church family etc.
Melissa Stewart, I would make you take him but now that you have a little one coming (I'm excited for you--congratulations!) I won't force you.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Are you selling or giving? I don't want another dog, but I could put a link on my blog possibly.

Heather said...

Yeah, I don't think Xuxa would like that. I am selling-but price is negotiable if I can find the right home. Please do link us. That would help get the word out. Thanks!

statcounter