3.02.2010

Reads

It's been a while since I picked up a book for fun. This chic-fluff read is about high Texas society in Austin and the paradoxes of life in general. It piqued my interest because I have a cookbook published by the Junior League of Plano and always thought it was a teen girls club. I didn't know it was for up and coming 20-30somethings. The hot guy artist in the plot makes it fun.
I am reading this right now. I haven't really thought about the history of indentured servititude of Anglos and their relationship with African slaves. These two cultures intertwined in the Carribean on sugar and tobacco plantations. I love Irish history and this fiction does a great job in painting a picture of what it's like to be oppressed by a group who looks and worships like you do but who considers you a whole other species. The author has done a lot of scholarly research on the sociology and psychology of slavery and how it defines "family" differently. Sometimes we forget slavery is ubiquitous in human history.
I am almost done. Any recommendations for a book to take with me to Fredericksburg this weekend when Cyler and I head out for an anniversary weekend?

No comments:

statcounter