3.16.2010

He's There

The Phantom of the Opera.


We went on a date. Italian food then the theatre. We got dressed up (I let Ellery wear her Easter Dress) and I wore a skirt and jacket I had made in Thailand.





Thai silk is rougher and thinner than Chinese silk but the country is really trying to develop the industry. It feels like a taffeta almost. The elephants make me smile.



Carrabba's is my favorite Italian restaurant chain here. We talked the whole dinner about manners, etiquette and what-if questions. Like what if a friend walks up to you while you are talking to someone else? What if you are invited to a party after you have already accepted a previous invitation. The waiter treated Ellery like a young lady and she sponged it up.



And then "I" happened. I was reaching over the entire length of the table to retrieve the doggy bag, brought it to my side at the wrong angle and knocked over the rather full glass bottle of olive oil. Crash! Splash! My feet and metallic gold heels were awash in EVOO. I slid forward toward the bathroom after giving a penitent look to the waiter (he said "no problem") and lodged a tiny but painful shard of glass in my big toe. I felt like Aesop's lion.



In the car Ellery wiped my shoe while I tried to degrease my digits. The glass didn't come out until after I got home near midnight after traipsing across Dallas Fair Park parking lot, stairs to the lounge and that insanely steep ramp to and from my orchestra level seats. Ellery had such a good time. After doing a feminist interpretive analysis on Christine Daea (can the girl stop needing a man to save her and just make up her mind?) I let myself enjoy the woman's voice who played her. The voice was amazing.







No comments:

statcounter