1.25.2010

Baptism Dress

I don't think I ever posted Ellery's baptism dress that I made. A short gathered yoke, short sleeves, and a-line skirt. Simple, so I found a velveteen with a wave pattern in it for some texture.
The back. The butterflies were a clip I made her. She wore it well and has worn it to church often as well. The backing on the fabric is not very skin-friendly (I found it on a website that sold pool table fabric) so I shopped for a full slip in her size. Does no one put their daughters in a slip anymore??? I finally found one on a site that sold Amish clothes. Really. I don't have a lot of time to sew. There is a quilt top I could finish for the Battered Women's Foundation "Day to Shine" event. There is a project bag (pattern, fabric, notions) ready for a nightgown, a purple winter dress and a peach sundress, each. I haven't been carving out time lately enough though.
But, I love how what we make has a story behind the making that is interesting apart from the thing that was made. Children's birthstories, home building, Theses, business beginnings, and even clothes. Maybe it's the historian in me. I love to know how things came to be the way they are (and "God wanted it that way" is usually the least interesting answer.") There's always a fabulously interesting 'why' that could possibly include a mix of pool tables and the Amish. Who knew?

1 comment:

No Big Dill said...

That fabric!! Thank you for posting!

statcounter