1.26.2010

I Take Dares

What could I have possibly done to shock my daughter like this.


She saw this on the counter for dinner:

"I Dare You." That's what the trout said to me as he stared and grinned me down at Costco through plastic wrap. Alton Brown had convinced me to try trout--cheaper, easier on the environment than salmon and tuna. OK but when I looked at it, I wasn't sure of myself.

So I chopped the heads off and gave them to the dogs. Don't do this if fish breath lasting for days bugs you when your pooch wants a smooch. I know I won't again.


I put small bits of butter and lemon slices in the body cavity and rubbed the outside with my favorite salmon rub. Then BBQ'd on a cedar plank on the grill for about 15min. Three fish fed the four of us with enough leftovers for trout salad sandwiches for the next day.



I take dares--I will jump off cliffs and do other things that scare me. One thing that scared me was "could I feed my family well and still work?" It sounds benign--so 80's. But it was a fear. I took the dare. It's working out. This fish is like eating butter.


No comments:

statcounter