4.21.2010

The Back Forty

We have a fun backyard--sports court, pool, trampoline, small firepit, and Soren's shooting range.


It's so nice to see it getting used again. The weather has been so nice--a bit wet this weekend but more rain means lower watering bills.


Blooming behind the pool equipment fence. Why these volunteer Irises grow where no one can see them beats me. The white ones I have out in front eek out a few blooms every year, but not like these lavender over acheivers.



Lexi is our homeschooled neighbor. Her Oma is a WWII immigrant from Austria and has lots of interesting stories about living in Germany during the war and being in Hitler's Youth. She thinks Obama is the anti-Christ ("Really" she tells me "You can see just by looking at him") and makes pickled herring salad at Christmastime. In spite of these two things, I really like her. She makes up for it when she makes deviled eggs with black caviar on top. Lexi, the blond pixie elf in the photo is a character--she tells it like it is. I had my hair in a messy bun-ponytail thing one time sitting at their table outside coloring eggs. She walks past me and as an aside, mentions, "Nice hairdo" and keeps walking. I fell out!


The shooting range. The wood is for throwing knives. (yes thank you I know I'm crazy for allowing this). It makes me feel like I live on a Branch Davidian or a Sandinistan compound. Any weapons training to go with your Bible study, anyone? Anyone?


We have also in the back forty, lots of lovely seed pod wormy things from either the hickory or oak trees that act like the soft side of velcro when the dogs come near. I am forever pulling these things off my dogs. I'm glad to see my extra free time since I have become unemployed is being used in such a practical ,useful way. Blah!!


Bodhi has made the cut. We are keeping him (how can I possibly sell him??? when neighbors are giving their male havaneses away)--so we got him cut, his hair not his babymakers. No shows, no fame, no beautiful girlfriends from JoLain Havanese. Instead he gets free range of the property, and emasculating yellow flowers in his hair.
You never know what you might find in the back forty.







1 comment:

Becky said...

You do have a fun backyard! Those wormy things come from the oak trees, I believe, because we have them all over our yard, and we only have oak trees. Sofie made a wig out of them. I'll email you the pics.

statcounter