4.19.2010

Black Bear Breakfast Bread

Who hates fruitcake? Then don't read on. For the rest of us--who loves fruitcake? And who loves to stay (ahem) regular? I do I do. These prunes go into the bread I made so that when I yell "Time for breakfast kids!" (7am on Friday mornings when I myself am still in bed) they have something quick and healthy to eat. I call it Black Bear Breakfast Bread because the prunes are black and they help you have good (ahem) "growlers"--as Cyler and Ellery call them. I didn't tell the kids all this--I just find that they are more likely to try a new recipe when it has a good name.

3/4C all purpose flour

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 C brown sugar, firmly packed

3 C coarsely chopped nuts (1/2 walnuts and 1/2 pecans work well)

1/2 C dried cherries (I used prunes)

2 C dates and figs, cut into quarters (I just had dates and it was fine)

1/2 C dried apricots, cut into quarters

3 lg eggs

1 tsp pure vanilla extract



Preheat oven 300 degrees and place rack in center of oven. butter 8 C (9"x5") loaf pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
In lg bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in brown sugar, nuts and fruits. Use your fingers to coat all fruit and nuts well.
In separate bowl, beat eggs and vanilla till light colored and thick--takes several minutes. Add egg mixture to fruit and nut mixture and mix till all fruit and nut pieces are coated with batter. Spread into pan, press to even out.
Bake 60-75 minutes will batter is golden brown and pulled away from the side of the pan. If loaf starts to over brown, cover with aluminum foil. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. When cool, lift loaf from pan. Let sit a couple of days. Keeps 2 weeks at room temp or 2 months in fridge. Cut into small slices with sharp knife.
It was gone in 2 days. Here's to lots of happy growlers!


No comments:

statcounter