11.06.2008

Arenal, dia dos

The view from our casita. The volcano goes off every once in a while. Early this morning I heard the earth grumble and a loud blow torch sound. Below is my attempt to teach Soren about visual journey and composition in 2-D design. This was lying outside the casita. I thought it was a snake at first.


Jugo de Mango.


Casado (comida tipica). This traditional dish includes egg, banana, rice and beans, chicken and salad. Yummy especially at $4 a plate. 500 colones equals one dollar by the way.



We leave tomorrow for Monteverde (where I need to find one more night's lodging). The zipline tour in the canopy today was amazing. We did this tarzan type swing. I was worried I wouldn't be able to scream because my voice is still crackly BUT I definitely screamed/laughed/whooped it up. So fun to watch Soren zip down those cables!! Note to self: Don't forget Andreas, Karina and Johnny. I took video camera footage so I need to find out how to post that on the blog. It is raining tonight and Soren and I are in the lobby being flojos--he's reading for school so I guess only I am floja.
Oh I have to post some guidelines that were on a sign in our first hotel room in San Jose. They are so choice I had Soren copy them as a handwriting exercise. A great intro to a great country that apparently has had American visitors before us:) These are real, I'm not making these up:
  • Remember when traveling around Costa Rica to observe, listen, understand and empathize rather than see, hear, take pictures and boast. Be humble and speak English softly. You are a guest but not the center of attention. No one really cares if you are rich.
  • Use 'por favor' and 'gracias' and speak as much Spanish as you are capable of.
  • Ask before taking a picture of someone. and offer compensation (or discretely use a telephoto lens.)
  • Remember the excellent bargain you negotiate for a souvenir is at the expense of someone feeding their family on a wage of $1 per hour.
  • In the Central Valley men wear long pants or shorts below the knees.
  • Support smaller independently owned hotels, restaurants, stores etc. that gainfully employ more Ticos (my addition--Ticos are what Costa Ricans call themselves), buy supplies locally and recirculate income within Costa Rica.
  • Graciously accept whatever you are given.

And my personal favorite!!

  • If you want all the comforts of home, ask yourself why you are traveling.



No comments:

statcounter