11.18.2008

Chicken Pizza

Chichen Itza-popular Mayan ruin. City was important between 600AD-1250AD, so when William the Conqueror and Vikings were kicking AngloSaxon and Celtic butt. The Holy Well. Cenote Sagrado. The water erodes the limestone and makes these huge natural cisterns. The Mayans sacrificed mostly valuable goods, adult males and children of enemies by pushing them off the edge.
Corbelled arch. Mayans didn't know how to build a keystone arch so the interiors of their buildings could not be as open as the Greeks and Romans.


The Palace of the Warriors. The political, military, and religious structures of the complex are all near eachother. Church/State/Military all entertwined. Thank goodness for separation of church and state. I can't imagine feeling empowered to use free will in the shadow of these monumental buildings. I would think that whoever stood at the top must know what they're doing and are chosen by the gods.





The main pyramid was made a 'Wonder of the World' in 2007. I wonder what site got demoted from the list to make room for it. But it is amazing. That is Soren to the right of the central slope of steps. When I was here 20 years ago, I climbed up the steep narrow steps. They don't allow anyone onto the structure anymore. I understand why but was disappointed that Soren couldn't go up.




1 comment:

Amy Pennington said...

I am loving this journey you are on. If only my homeschooling experience would have been this educational. Those are some lucky kids you have!

statcounter