11.15.2008

Isla Mujeres








It's interesting that Europe was all about big, beautiful architecture. Here it seems to be about nature and people. Soren and I started to snorkel but soon, I was playing with some little kids. Their parents were at the side of the road selling windchimes made of shells. Tonio (11), Teresa (4) and Gustavo (1) helped me build a tortuga of sand (which the baby quickly sat on). Soren and Tonio went snorkeling and eventhough they couldn't communicate, they played great. Teresa and I sat on the beach. She stood up and pinched the skin on my back softly. She said my skin seemed 'como crema.' (like cream--hey! I thought I was pretty tan.) It shocked me--she said it without embarrassment. I paused and told her that her skin was 'como cafe', so together, somos una bebida muy rico. (Together we make a tasty beverage.) She looked at me like I was from Mars. It is a common beauty standard in many cultures (unfortunately propagated by certain interpretations of some religious texts) that the lighter the skin, the more desirable the person. Teresa at 4 needs to know deep within that her skin is beautiful. If she doesn't, she'll never feel worthy of a life that is made of more than selling trinkets to tourists. When I get to heaven I will want to know what happens to Teresa who I will never see again.
On the way back via ferry, Soren took a picture of me with the Mexican flag behind. It's a huge one. I like how it looks like the clouds are parting over it and rays of the sun are shining down on it. He was confused that Mexico was Los Estados Unidos (The United States) too. The proper name is Los Estados Unidos Mexicanos. I hear that Chiapas is a cool state to visit for eco-tourism. Maybe next time.
I got a pedicure. Yay. I am back to my old self again. Thank the gods for spa treatments. They are the most humane of all inventions.

No comments:

statcounter