11.09.2008

Monteverde and Tamarindo

Before we got to our cabana in Monteverde we drove around Lago Arenal--I saw a man training his Paso Fino to do a standing turn (in a trot) in his driveway between two hedges of high vegetation so he wouldn't break his perfect circle. Uh, the road got rough, real rough. We stopped off twice and I'm so glad we did. First, it gave us a chance to rest from the fourwheeling rough ride. The roads here are not always paved and have, shall we say "potholes and rocks." (Understatement) First was a stop at a small casa where a man let us press our own sugar cane juice. While we were drinking it and chewing on sugarcane (sorry Dad ((who was a dentist)) he showed us his machine made in 1891, his trout pond and allowed us to use his bano. He was trying to understand how Soren and I were traipsing by plane and car while mi marido (Cyler) was home WORKING hard and taking care of Ellery. I told him "solamente 2 semanas" (only 2 weeks) but he was not convinced it was at all fair. Needless to say, his wife did not come out of the house to visit or introduce herself, eventhough I know she was there, watching us. The next stop down the road was the home/workshop of a very kind man and generous family. I bought some rosewood bowls Jose Luiz "Licho" had made. He follows the law and only uses wood from fallen trees. He also showed us his orchid garden. You should have seen him talk about these tiny versions of orchids. He knew where each one was. What a kind heart he had. He saw that Soren had hurt his wrist on the zipline cable and put homegrown Aloe on it. He invited us to tea with his family. His daughter and wife chatted with us like we had been there before. They always host an exhange student or professor because Licho says it's interesting. He wanted to know what I thought about Obama. I asked him questions regarding Costa Rica's decision to be neutral and not have an army. He was so interesting. I am torn between the 2 sides of that debate. Two different households, the sugarcane guy and Licho--helps me remember to stop trying to make generalities. And then we entered Monteverde proper where there is not one place that is naturally flat.
Melissa, is this what you did? The Cloud forest hanging bridge tour? It was beautiful. We took lots of video camera shots to get the sounds of the birds, water and quiet. It was a mall of trees. One of every kind it seems like.
It's a tropical version of Montana. The Quakers and Ticos up here have their work cut out for them, making a living up here, but they are succeeding. And I can see why they love it here. Green, remote, all the time. Of course I imagined what it would be like to live here. Hard work, but so, so, peaceful and remote.








I got tons of footage with Soren on the video cam here (he is still coughing--started him on anti-biotics)and also at the hummingbird and butterfy garden. There is a cute creature here called the 'pizote' (in English I think it's Motmot)--they are like raccoon/monkey/badgers. You'll have to see the footage. Here are some pics of moi. We have been roughing it in our little cabana with no heat, no microwave and no road. Locals here go out to dinner in rubber boots. Cyler tracked me down via CC charges since I couldn't contact him in my cabana. He called the lobby all worried that I had found a gorgeous Tico or Quaker to shack up with. (uh, no I didn't) I guess that is why I have sprung for a touristy resort here in Tamarindo where we are now-- restaurant, American TV channels, beach, massages for $40/hr. Soren has a lot of make up work to do since he could not do it while we were be-bopping along the "road less travelled." It was way to0 rough to read and write in the passenger seat. So we are here with the scantily clad tourists to catch up on homework and to hopefully see the giant leatherback turtles that nest here this season. Hey, a beach is part of the ecosystem too lest you think I am here to be floja (lazy):)


No comments:

statcounter