6.13.2009

Blow Much?

Some are calling our recent storm a tornado. I am calling it "The Weekend Stealer" because it has taken us (ok mostly Cyler) 2 days to 'clean up' the debris. Fallen trees (one that busted our sportcourt fence-it sounded like the gods had slammed down a massive pile of books on some celestial desk), branches, limbs and leaves. I thought we were done for a while with leaf madness after last fall. Ellery liked when we lost power for a few hours in the pm-we broke out candles and flashlights, played/sang with the guitar and she made a paper trampoline out of rubber bands for a pipecleaner guy she made. Soren and I mostly looked at eachother like we were lost without our screens.
About 20 bags of debris and 6 twine bundles of branches. I feel like the working girl in "Devil Wears Prada" who says "I love my job, I love my job." We love our property, we love our property.


Like we need more wood--here's one of our three (yes, three) wood piles. Want some? Come get it.

The 85mph winds were enough to slightly shift the sportcourt tiles off to the side so Cyler has had to take it apart in sections, clean the debris underneath and reattach them all. Shouldn't they have glued it all to the cement in the first place? Oh, well, not my ten acres I guess.



This little guy seems to be ok. Enough trees left to feed and house him. We were lucky--some houses lost power for over 24hrs (with temps in the 90's), some lost roof shingles, one caught on fire from being struck by lightning. Cyler was driving home from a movie with friends when he saw a neighbor waiting outside his electric fence since it would not open. I'm just happy my fertile myrtle tomato plant survived. She heavy with round and green child right now.




1 comment:

No Big Dill said...

Hooray for resilient tomato plants!

Oh, and glad you're okay, too!

statcounter