6.09.2009

How Do I Harp

Let me count the ways. When I want to learn a harp piece and get it ready to perform, I first take a trip here. I am playing a piece in August, an English Melody my religion knows as "If You Could Hie to Kolob," and for Christmas, "Bring a Torch Jeannette, Isabella." Thanks Mom for the sheet music for both of these. How to get great sheet music should be a topic of future discussion. Copying your music gives you license to mark away during practice with fingering numbers, reminders about dynamics, changes in chords/notes if you want, and of course, pedal changes. And then you always have a perfectly clean original to copy for others, or to look nice in your repetoire book.
I copy each sheet separately (one sided), then overlap them side by side and tape them so they stay together on the stand and fold together easily. So then I run through the piece and pinpoint where it gets messy (pretty easy to figure out early on). Either there is tricky fingering, pedal changes, tempo/rhythm issues, tough intervals or busy work in both hands. In this piece I have two messy parts.


Above is where the RH fingering gets tricky, the tempo is quick and the LH is busy.


Above is messy part #2. I have to pedal change from 2 sharps to 3 flats within one measure. I can't change the C and A and E (jeez!) too early as they appear in the measure right before the key change. On my copied piece I can work out the hairy details, erasing and changing my mind to my heart's content. And these parts are the parts where I start practicing--not ever at the beginning. That will come in time.
PS'd: Grail broke a string today--the same one I changed a month ago. I think it was me, not her. So a tutorial in string changing would be useful!


2 comments:

No Big Dill said...

Is it "Nativity" that you bought? I was looking for some new Christmas music. Does it work with cello or viola?

I need a string tutorial refresher as well. I kind of just make it up, but I always seem to mark up the string when stringing it.

Heather said...

Yes, my mom gave me Nativity. I think you could work the duets for a cello or viola playing the melody 8va lower--they are definitely for a flute or violin.

statcounter