6.26.2009

Heather of the Last Traipse


June 29-July 9--too quick. When Ellery writes it (she gets to come), she spells it "Grease" and wanted to know if we were going to see Dr. Zeus while we were there. At IrishDance, I was told they "yell alot" there. Malta plans didn't materialize so we flexed again and made rather loose plans for Athens, Sparta, and Mykonos. We will see how it all pans out. It's interesting how nonchalant I've become about travel plans. Now, it's kind of "I'll do it when I get there." I am so nonchalant, I forgot to let my parents know in a timely manner. Mom and Dad, did I tell you we were going to Greece-- and be in Utah around July 15th? We'll talk.

I feel I need to acknowledge some of the tools that have been indispensable this past GlobeSchool year. Cyler is not a "tool" per se but is the foundational reason I can do what I have done for Soren's education this year. A forever of thank yous--for taking my passions seriously, and taking my weaknesses in stride. Above is a universal converter. Each slider button thingy represents a group of countries. I have used this religiously and get short of breath when I can't find it easily. It is my bridge to Cyler and my bank account (hence my sanity) while traipsing. The two websites I have to mention specifically that have helped me is LonelyPlanet and TripAdvisor. And then there is Cynthia Nichols the travel agent guru who helped me with flight/hotel arrangements. She would say "Oh, I just got back from there. You'll love it." "Don't worry, you and Soren will be just fine." "Uh, it's too rainy there right now." "You can too drive on the left side of the road." "I don't suggest Tangiers." I want to gift her with something special--any suggestions? Another quazi-mentor was a little book called "Gutsy Mamas Who Travel." It is sacred text to meperiod

I have learned:

No need to buy a travel book at Barnes and Noble--in my opinion, those are for people who are not going to the location on the cover. The map given at the hotel and a chat at the front desk is a good enough start.

Although I might be called foolish or selfish for traipsing, I can still sleep well at night.

Being helpful to travelers is a nearly universal impulse.

World peace will not come when everyone is of one heart and one mind (enter Nazi, Stepford Wives, Taliban nonsense). But when one considers the other's heart and mind as of equal value to his/her own.

You will not get sick if you wear the same pyjamas A LOT of times between washings.

Everyone (not just 12yr old boys) needs a pair of what they consider "adventure pants."

The thought of getting goosed in Greece is not an appalling one, suprisingly.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I always thought of "one heart, one mind" as pretty close to the way you described it.

Becky said...

Good luck in Grease. Tell Dr. Zeus "hello."

statcounter