9.28.2009

Snickerdoodle Cream of Wheat

Am I suggesting you make snickerdoodles for breakfast?

Not really. But close:

Snickerdoodle Cream of Wheat
Adopted and Adapted from a Portuguese breakfast joint in Cambridge, Mass.
serves 4

1/2C Cream of Wheat (see below to see how to make it yourself--easy)
3 T unsalted butter
4 T sugar (I used Splenda or Turbinado could work)
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t real vanilla extract
2 1/2C milk

Melt 2T butter in med saucepan over med/low heat. Add cream of wheat and stir often till just barely brown. Stirring, add 2 1/4C milk. Watch for a possible burst of steam. Turn heat to low and add salt, sugar, and cinnmon. Let cook slowly 10 min stirring often. Stir in vanilla and remove from heat. Consistency should be of warm loose pudding. If too thick, add milk. Cover and let sit 5min then stir in remaining butter. Add cinnamon and a tiny bit of nutmeg (optional). If you want to get "Fronch," place in bowls and carmelize a t of sugar with a torch to make it like creme brulee.

Mine was a bit thicker than loose pudding especially as it sits and cools like above. I didn't carmelize but I did add maple syrup--have you checked the manganese and zinc content of real maple syrup lately? Anyways, Soren scarfed this down--Ellery, the meat and cheese queen, is going to have to acquire a taste for it, poor thing.

Ok, so I buy red wheat thinking it's my ticket to the celestial kingdom and then I do nothing with it. I perpetually plan on buying a grinder and bread mixer at some point but I have previously opted to buy more shoes. My cheapo solution was to buy a $15 coffee grinder. I can grind 1/2C red wheat at a time from coarse to fine. I can also grind spices and of course coffee (for enemas--different post). Grind the wheat coarse for cream of wheat, fine for flour. Also, I have just pulsed wheat on coarse a few times for cracked wheat. Yummy too.


2 comments:

Becky said...

So, all you do for cream of wheat is grind it coarse? I have an electric wheat grinder and a hand grinder. I use the hand grinder on coarse to make cracked wheat. But I have never tried to make cream of wheat, but that's one of my all-time favorite breakfasts. You can come use my electric grinder any time! It's fast. It will make about 12 C of flour at a time in just a minute or two. I love it.

Heather said...

Yeah--the coarse grind all the way makes "farina" which is essentially what cream of wheat is--12C makes A LOT of farina--but you can store it in the fridge to keep longer. Cream of Wheat is my favorite too.

statcounter