8.05.2011

Aarti the friend I don't have but pretend to

I wish I had an indian friend like Aarti Paarti. She seems like she would teach me how to really cook indian food. She seems fun and nice and wouldn't look at me weird if I had this type of art in my kitchen.
I made one of her Food Network Desserts. Cococut-Lime Granita.
1/2C sugar
1 (13.5oz) can coconut milk (not low fat) <--another reason I like her
zest 1 lime
Juice 1/2 lime (I added more and I liked it limey)
2 TBSP shredded coconut (she says fresh or unsweetened--I used sweetened and I thought it was fine)
coarse sea salt
Put 8" square bake dish in freezer to chill.
Combine sugar, 1/2C water in small saucepan low heat till sugar dissolves and syrup is at gentle boil. Remove it from heat, and cool.
Pull chilled dish out of freezer and pour coconut milk in. Whisk smooth. Whisk in simple syrup, lime zest, lime juive and coconut till combined. Place dish in freezer, chill 1 hour.
Pull it out and fork to break up crystals around the edge of dish by dragging them into the more molten center. Return to freezer and repeat process every hour 2 more times. Takes 3 hours.
When ready to serve, allow to sit room temp 5 min. to soften a bit. Spoon in small bowl and top with a little coarse sea salt.
Thanks Aarti for leaving your expensive journalist education to teach me this dish. Call ya later.

No comments:

statcounter