8.28.2009

Aviary Gate


Linking past and present heroines, the story follows Oxford researcher Elizabeth Staveley as she uncovers the 400-year-old story of Celia Lamprey, a sea captain's daughter engaged to merchant-turned-diplomat Paul Pindar when she's lost in a shipwreck. Celia doesn't drown, of course. She becomes a concubine-in-training in Constantinople.
Eventhough sexual politics is a cliche for historical romances, I still thought I would enjoy this book when I saw it in the Athens airport. (Sexual politics were the only kind women were allowed to play back in the day.) Just getting to it now since apparently I am supposed to have more free time now the kids are in school. Anything about Oxford intrigues me and Turkey is on my travel wish list. Come take the ride with me if you want.

No comments:

statcounter