5.04.2009

Ch2 Skip a Few A Hundred


I scarfed this book down. It was so easy to read and I loved hearing her personal work situations. While I wonder if she realizes that fashion magazines generally are known to have deleterious effects on women's self-image, I am a fan of her practical advice, her initiative and her willingness to put something down on paper for others. Think of all the humans that have passed on without leaving something like this for others to talk about and learn from. Anyways, here are some nuggets from the rest of the book that I loved--you might pick out others.


Power=something you create for yourself, take your ego out of it, and If you can't join 'em, throw your own party!

Risk=The worst case scenario is rarely as bad as you think, Get used to needing change, rule-breaking is an underappreciated and underutilized skill.


People=Stir things up in a good way, trust and be a mentor, don't personalize that which is not personal ((HOW??--I want to know)), be generous with praise, manage by empathy.


Fear=Use fairy dust, and humor. Don't fear criticism and stand your ground when you have it to stand on. Don't wield fear as a weapon.
I would like to be adaptable to change, live a grudge free, 360degree life like she says is possible. I am glad she found love again and that she has children to pass her knowledge to--she is proof that a woman can have a rewarding personal and public life at the same time. Different than having it all at the same time--which she says is a phrase she hates because it implies that everyone wants the same things. Bravo for saying this, Ms. Black! And really, the things that work in one sphere, work in the other--I choose to not have borders between public and private anymore.


Black mentions taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test (a personality/aptitude test). Has anyone taken it? We should take it and see what we find out.




5 comments:

No Big Dill said...

Ryan has mastered the "Risk" aspect. He doesn't believe any rules apply to him. Very interesting thoughts. I really am trying to pursue my passions, but achieving a balance in my life is also important. Does she include religion at all in her discussion? Perhaps I need to go to the library.

Heather said...

Ryan may be a kindred spirit. She does say to know the rules so you know which ones can be broken. She mentions her family's Catholic background a bit and she really talks about the value of volunteer work/service but she doesn't really include a religious life as an element of success. (Although her mother was happy she found a good Catholic lawyer to marry--she told Black to drag him to the altar!)

Becky said...

I'm on chapter 5. I, too, enjoy her work stories, and I'm planning to have Jared read the book, too. He needs the chapter on risk. It seems like she developed from an aggressive (sometimes abrasive) manager into one that keeps an open mind and is less acutely reactive.

Heather said...

I think I can practice becoming less reactionary like she has become by doing the "don't take it personal" dance. It's hard when you have a passion about something or you have created something (you feel like it's your baby)and it is criticised. But I like how she says to keep your focus on the end game because "it's the only game in town." So maybe the grander the perspective, the less likely I'll be irked? I've finished reading, but I've not finished talking about this book so keep telling me what you liked or disagreed with and questions too. I'll introduce the next book this Sunday.

Heather said...

By the way, I don't think that balance means a person HAS to do paid and non-paid work. I used to, but now I am thinking that as long as a person's gifts/interests/desires to contribute are satisfying to the self (to help others) without negating the self, there is balance there. She doesn't seem hugely spiritual (talk of God etc) but I respect people like her who use their power--to me that is active/practical spirituality. And I think that can happen in a paid or non-paid environment.

statcounter