5.01.2009

Homeschooler Day at Texas Ranger Stadium

Turkey, cheese, cucumber and spinach sandwiches, blackberries, Chocolate soy pudding, and bulk bbq corn nuts. I thought they would be satisfied but I still ended up buying ye olde hot dogs for them too.
I thought I'd use fear of swine flu as an excuse to take Ellery out of school Thurs. and let her come watch some baseball. She had such a good time with us. There were a bunch of games and activities for the kids to try out before the game. She did this slingshot thing and hit the target 2 out of 3 times--I didn't see anyone else even hit it once while we were in line for her turn.

A different hat altogether. Homeschooling is popular among ultra-conservative Christians here in Texas. Here are some that proscribe to Biblical (Roman Mediterranean/MiddleEastern) ideas of modesty, covering their heads. Fascinating to me that in 21st C America, people still use ancient texts as a guide to socially construct modern ideas of modest dress. And why is it always the woman's body that for some reason needs more covering than men's to the point of inconvenience (ie a burka)? The boys in their family did not cover as much. What would modesty look like if women made the rules?







Soren waiting to jump over the railing for a fly-ball. He had a good time. He loves baseball--(I don't get why people love the game. I do get the idea of loving a game that much though so I try to be supportive.) Our seats were in the sun so I wanted to move under the awning. He decided to stay put because he thought he had a better chance of catching a ball. We got eaten alive by no-see-ums.




A good day. A very good day.





Are those wrinkles in my neck? Jeez. And one of my friends noticed today at Girlscouts that I was growing out my highlights. Since my $ is sailing across the ocean blue I am not highlighting for a while. I'm not sure what to think of it yet. I'm hoping summer will be my natural remedy.





No comments:

statcounter