5.22.2009

S P A C E

Today, Soren's science project was due. He decided to make a scale model of the solar system (a sixth grader and he hadn't had the chance to do that yet). He chose his own layout design, materials and scale: 4 inches= 100,000,000 kilometers. It turned out totally different than what I would have done or expected. That's what made it cool to me. The ball of white paper with orange facets and black dots are the sun. The tiny white point at the end of the red ruler (he ran out of dowels, and floor space) is Pluto, which, depending on who you are, may or may not be classified as a planet. The paradigm shift is moving as we speak.
Soren's body to give scale to his scaled model. He kept peppering me with interesting facts, "Did you know Uranus has invisible rings?" (my answer was no). "Did you know that the Galileo probe to Jupiter was a suicide mission?" (no again). "Did you know Pluto shares Neptune's orbit every once in a while?" (of course, no again) This conversation made me realize more learning went on during this project than I could have hoped for.

I was told that my idea of a cooperative art project for an Enrichment night probably wouldn't fly because "what do you do with it afterward?" Sometimes, especially for art and creative projects, it's the process that is supreme. Where do we put this stuff? Who cares?


This is the crew on the Hubble space telescope servicing mission that just took place. I love the female's zero gravity hair!!! Check the link for incredible photos of their work. Looking at this picture and thinking about Stephen Hawking (who has an IQ of 160!!) I found an article about the youngest member of Mensa. She said that after watching "Beauty and the Beast," she didn't like Gaston because he was "mean and arrogant." She was dressing herself and putting the right shoes on the right feet at 14months. You go girl!


No comments:

statcounter