5.06.2009

Copycat Penne Rustica

What to fix with the watermelon I got today? I found a copycat recipe for Macaroni Grill's Penne Rustica at The Secret Recipe Blog. I changed some things around and came up with this.

Gratinata Sauce:
1 tsp butter
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 marsala wine
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 C half and half

Saute butter, garlic, and rosemary till garlic begins to brown. Add marsala and then reduce by a third. Add remaining ingreds and reduce by half of original volume. Set aside.

I didn't have penne-so I used BIG rigatoni.

I didn't have marsala-so I used Claret from a local winery.
Rustica:
1 oz pancetta or bacon (I had bacon)
18 shrimp peeled and deveined
6 oz grilled chicken breast, sliced (I couldn't wait for chicken to thaw so I just used shrimp)
Gratinata sauce (above)
Cooked pasta for 4
2 tsp pimientos (I didn't have)
4 oz butter
1 tsp chopped shallots
pinch salt and pepper
1 C parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp paprika
6 sprigs of rosemary
Saute pancetta till it begins to brown. Add butter, shallots, and shrimp. Cook till shrimp are evenly pink but still translucent. Don't overcook. Add chicken, salt/pepper and mix. Add gratinata sauce and 1/2C parmesan cheese--simmer till sauce thickens.
Combine shrimp mixture with precooked pasta in casserole. Top with remaining cheese and pimientos--sprinkle with paprika. Bake 475 degrees F for 10-15 min. Remove and garnish with fresh rosemary.




'Twer so good. Even with all my subs and omissions, I was the spotlight star at dinner tonight. Soren wants it for his birthday now.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars (*****)
It tasted like the restaurant. Period.

No comments:

statcounter