7.05.2009

Athens Above Ground

Much of Athens is concrete jungle. The residents bemoan the fact that there is little in the way of greenspace here. But we found it along with a gem museum--the Benaki museum by Syntagma (Constitution Square). They had the best exhibition of folk textiles I have ever seen. The embroidry, lacework and weaving was the kind that makes someone like me want to break glass to have a touch.
Above is part of an altarpiece (Greek Orthodox). I love the gradually opening fruit eventually feeding the baby bird. Archetype for new life.


The cafe at the museum had the most beautiful paper placemats. I couldn't bring one home without folding it so I want to order some when I get home. Remind me.

At the National Gardens one can walk right next to the Presidential Palace (Greece's version of the White House). It is a glorified Mediterranean Villa in the palest of yellows and I wanted to jump the fence to look inside. Instead we visited the animal sanctuary where chickens, bunnies and cats lived together in peace and harmony-all of which bit our hands to keep us petting them. The garden is the site of an ancient grove and I just happened on this ring of old trees. Holy ground perhaps? I felt like doing a dance and singing a prayer with incense and oil.




This one is to add to my evolving collection of white and yellow green fauna that attracts me.
Sorry I have been a 'bad-blogger' of late. We have been on the move constantly and when we have computer time, the kids hog it all. I find I don't have the energy to fight for my blog-rights. After Athens we took a ferry to Mykonos island in the Kyklades. We sat outside with legs propped on chairs and enjoyed the sunset on our 5hr float.



2 comments:

Ruh-u meyyit said...

Greetings from Turkey.Have a nice day.

Heather said...

Thank you! From what I hear, I have put Turkey on my trip wishlist. Evkaristo!

statcounter