7.08.2009

Blue Eyes


I was expecting that men would ogle over my blonde hair and/or blue eyed children. Not really the case. In fact there is a ubiquitous charm here. The blue glass all seeing eye is used to mirror the 'evil-eye,' bringer of misfortune. Although one can attract the evil eye from various people, it's actually homeopathic magic since one is likely to attract the evil of blue-eyed people. The irony is that they sell this charm as a touristy souvenir wherever No. Europeans seem to coagulate. I did research on this and it looks like that blue-eyed (Northern Europeans) have really been the slaves and the social inferiors in Greek eyes for going on 3 millenia now. This exhibits a type of racism, ethnocentrism, myopism which stands in direct contradiction to Greeks who are famous for Xenomania--love of anything foreign. Still, I found myself seeing genetic traits that are largely seen as positive, as something undesirable. A great experience for me and a reminder that racism/ethnocentrism is everywhere and what is desirable is socially constructed.

No comments:

statcounter