4.22.2009

Basic Black--Author Intro




Cathie Black came into her own during second wave feminism and seems to be one of those that focused mostly on the type of "glass-ceiling" breaking I really support-proving that women can be administers in public space while not feeling compelled to renounce femininity. She worked for and was instrumental in establishing rags like USA Today, Ms. magazine, and O, the Oprah magazine. She remembers being physically threatened, but mostly ignored and laughed at as she tried to sell ad space for Ms.




I'm hoping she goes into how to balance work and family more than she has so far in my reading. I know Gloria Steinem (whom I respect in many ways) says that men don't ever ask that question. (Uh, yes they do. Rather, mine does. We both ask each other where the balance is all the time.) Glancing over some of the chapters, they are titled with straightforward words like DRIVE, RISK, FEAR. I like that. So different from how I would title chapters. I also am thinking she might have developed some "work-place" ethics. What I mean is that at work sometimes people do the Machiavellian dance--"The end justifies the means." So, I will filter and handpick the traits she has that I want as I do with every human I learn from.

No comments:

statcounter