4.23.2009

Sticks and Stones Asparagus Salad











Ingredients:
4 oz bacon
1 lb asparagus, trimmed
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil + 2 T
Kosher salt, Black pepper
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 sm. honeydew melon, seeded and cut 3/4" cubes
4 oz fresh mozarella, cut 3/4"
2 T pine nuts, toasted (place in pan over med heat and shake occasionally till golden)
Directions:
Cook bacon and drain on paper towel. Crumble and mix with toasted pine nuts.
Place a grill pan over med heat or preheat a gas/charcoal grill. In med bowl, toss together asparagus and 2 tsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill 2-3 min each side till crisp-tender.
In med bowl, combine lemon juice and 2 T olive oil. Whisk till combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add melon and mozzarella and toss till all are combined.
Arrange asparagus (sticks) on platter. Using slotted spoon, spoon melon mixture on top of asparagus. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over top. Sprinkle bacon and pine nuts (stones) on top and serve.
Ratings: ****(4 out of 5)
I loved this dish. The ingredients are ones I already had, but it was a complex dish with a "special feel." The melon makes it. And if kids don't like it altogether, you can separate out the components and plate them separately for little ones with simpler tastes. I used this as a main dish last night with my go to side dish, coconut rice.
Go To Coconut Rice
Ingredients:
1 C dry jasmine rice
1/2 can light coconut milk
1 C cooked peas
1/4-1/2 C sauteed green onion
Cook rice. Add rest of ingredients and stir. My kids ate this like I had occasionally starved them without notice so they didn't know when they would eat again.

2 comments:

Becky said...

They both look yummy! I'm going to try the rice, because I have some coconut milk that is waiting to be used.

Heather said...

I know that's right! I'm good with coconut milk for a WHILE:)

statcounter