4.24.2009

Kid Talk

I picked Soren up after he volunteered at our local food pantry. I asked how the ladies treated him. He said, "Those old ladies were sweet but tough. They're not all sugar and butter. (I guess in keeping with the sugar/spice, snakes/snail dichotomy.)


He hauled some adult diapers while he was there. We chatted about that too since he didn't realize adults needed this type of product. I told him under which circumstances they do, hoping not to traumatize him, thereby rendering him unwilling when the time comes for him to put one on me. He said, "Oh. I thought they were just being lazy. Or maybe that they were trying to beat a high score on their video game."
And then there's Ellery. We were at Blockbuster looking at movies to rent. She comes around the corner while I was looking at Brideshead Revisited (Dad, why would you think I would like this movie--the gay guy, the ostentatious show of wealth, the negative stereotype they portray of religious people? Ok I did like it but that doesn't mean I agreed with its premise. OK I digress.) and she shows me the cover of Fiddler on the Roof. "Mommy, mommy, I know what I want to watch. This one, this one." My shoulders straightened and I thought how sophisticated my daughter's taste was for her age. I asked why, thinking she was attracted to Broadway singers, as I pictured her on stage someday singing "You're Gonna Here From Me." She turns the case around, points to the pic of Jews with bottles on their heads and says, "Look, Irish dancing!!!"




2 comments:

No Big Dill said...

That Soren, what a guy. You know Pearl is fully planning to marry him. Wouldn't that be great? You and I, harping in-laws?

Heather said...

I never thought I'd long for the days of arranged marriages:), but tell her I'm all for it! I'm planning to add a harp practicing blogpage soon so stay tuned.

statcounter